We’ve all seen mold before. Whether it’s on an older piece of bread that we just didn’t get to in time, or a build up around your shower grout lines, mold is commonplace around the home. However, lurching in certain crevices of your home could be a potential mold problem that is at risk for growing out of control. In this article, we’ll go over what mold is, why it’s a hazard, the signs of mold and where to look, and much more.

What Exactly is Mold?

Mold isn’t all bad. It actually plays a huge role in the ecosystem by breaking down decaying organic matter. The best example of this would be the mold you see on bread. But mold isn’t limited to just growing on bread. It can grow on any organic matter just as long as the conditions are optimal for it to thrive—think damp area that has a warm temperature. Technically speaking, mold is a fungus!

Living indoors and outdoors, oftentimes mold finds its way into homes simply by opening the door or windows. Once a mold spore is in the home, all it takes is those optimal conditions to start spreading. Those that are allergic might have problems outdoors if the mold count is too high. These spores are similar to what you’ll find growing on surfaces, only they are airborne.

Why Is It So Dangerous?

Not every type of mold is life-threatening. In fact, most mold only carries minor risks when exposure happens. But most people are familiar with the toxic black mold, which has a reputation for being extremely hazardous. Web MD mentions, “There are many types of black mold. Stachybotrys chartarum is usually the one referred to as ” toxic mold.” Mold and its spores can be dangerous to a person’s health at any age but the elderly and those with suppressed immune systems will be most affected. Health factors that could be present with a mold problem include:


-chronic illnesses




Warning Signs of Mold in Your Home

With a greater understanding of what mold is and why it’s so dangerous, it’s important to know the warning signs. The sooner you recognize the signs and symptoms of a mold problem, the sooner you can have it treated. We recommend for mold issues affecting drywall, attic spaces, basements, and other areas after water damage that, you use a professional. In Nashville, Blue Chip Restoration is the trusted choice. They offer mold removal and remediation solutions to protect property owners against mold returning.

Visible signs of mold 

The easiest way to recognize if mold is in your home is if there are visible signs. Do you see black, blue, or even orange spots on your wall or ceiling? Mold requires moisture to grow. That usually goes along with water damage. If you had a bathtub overflow and drenched the drywall, that moisture plus heat and mold spores are the perfect storms for a mold problem. You may notice water marks on flooring, walls, ceilings, or in the basement. Soon after, discolorations can happen, indicating mold growth is happening.

Musty odors

Mold has a very distinct smell. It is a musty odor that may remind you of decaying plants. If you smell an odor in your home that you can’t quite pinpoint and no amount of cleaning has helped, there could be an underlying condition, such as mold, that is to blame.

Found Water Damage 

Not only is finding water damage typically an unwanted site for most owners, it also carries the potential for mold contamination. When water damage happens, for whatever reason, mold will usually go hand in hand. From flooding in your home due to a natural disaster to a toilet that overflows, it takes only a small amount of water plus an organic piece of matter for mold to start. If you have found water damage in your home, it’s important to address the source of the problem. After fixing the source, repairs and mold remediation can begin.

Allergic reactions and respiratory symptoms

Have you noticed that you sneeze a lot more in your home? Do you have itchy, watery eyes or a cough that seems persistent? Many people who are allergic to mold outside of their homes will also have similar symptoms if mold is found inside the home. Those that have lower immune systems may find that they are sick more frequently due to mold exposure and further reducing their immune system. Anytime you have prolonged allergic reactions inside your home, it’s important to uncover the causes. It could have something to do with indoor air quality, such as a dirty duct system for your HVAC, or it could be toxic mold growing where you can’t see.

Common Areas Mold Is Found

Most people want to know where they can find mold so that they can identify it sooner. We recommend looking at areas that could have a potential for water leaks. This could be near your water heater, under the kitchen sink, or anywhere in the bathroom, basement, or attic space. Your attic may have mold if your roof leaks and the basement may have mold growing if there is a problem controlling moisture in your home. Professionals can use infrared technology to pinpoint water leaks in your home. Anywhere there is water with favorable conditions could become potentially infested with mold. 


If you have any warning signs of mold contamination inside your Nashville home, we recommend seeking the help of a professional mold remediation or restoration company. They will be able to assess how advanced the mold growth is and the type of mold that is present and create a strategy for removal. One of the problems with cleaning up mold on your own could be missing areas. Missing just a few mold spores can prolong the contamination.

Homeowners will need to address the cause of the mold infestation. This is likely due to water damage, but it can be from controlled moisture issues like high humidity. Should high humidity be the issue, a dehumidifier can be a great way to prevent mold problems in the future.

You may also like

Leave a Reply