When you enter a beautifully designed space, you know everything feels luxurious. A big part of creating that elegant vibe in your home comes down to the details, and pillows are one of the easiest ways to make a significant impact. The perfect pillows can take your space from basic to breathtaking. But finding luxury pillows that check all your boxes for style, comfort, and quality can take time and effort.
Don’t worry; we have five solutions for choosing pillows to make your area look and feel like a million bucks. By the time you’re done reading, you’ll be on your way to making a room fit for a king or queen.
1. Consider Your Sleeping Position: Choose a Side Sleeper Pillow
Your sleeping position is vital when choosing luxury pillows for your bedroom’s interior design. If you’re a side sleeper, you’ll want a pillow that keeps your spine aligned while cushioning your head, neck, and shoulders.
A side sleeping pillow is a must. Look for a higher and fuller pillow, at least 5 to 6 inches thick. A too-flat pillow won’t properly support your head and neck, potentially causing pain. Memory foam, latex, or down pillows are excellent options for side sleepers as they mold to your shape.
Choose a pillow that keeps your head, neck, and spine straight and aligned for the best support. Your head and neck should be level with your mid and lower spine, and it can strain your neck if your head is propped up or tilted down. The pillow should cover the space between your ear and the mattress to prevent your head from tilting.
Consider your shoulder width and choose a pillow wide enough to fully support your head and neck without your arms hanging off the sides. A standard pillow may be too narrow for broad shoulders, and king-size pillows, body pillows, or pillows specifically designed for side sleepers can work well.
You’ll wake up refreshed and pain-free with the proper pillow supporting you. Take time to find luxury pillows with the appropriate thickness, shape, and fill for your body and sleep position. Your neck and back will be happy with it!
2. Find a Pillow That Provides Ample Neck Support
Finding the perfect luxury pillows for your interior design comes down to critical factors. One of the most important is neck support. After all, if your pillow doesn’t properly cradle your head and neck, you won’t get a good night’s rest, no matter how luxurious the pillow is.
Look for a pillow that keeps your spine aligned while you sleep. For most people, that means a pillow that’s slightly contoured or shaped. A memory foam pillow is a fantastic option since it contours your head and neck. Latex foam or down alternative pillows can also provide good support. If you prefer a down pillow, choose one with a higher fill power, around 600 or higher.
The pillow’s height and firmness also matter for neck support. A pillow that’s too low won’t adequately support your neck, while one that’s too high can strain it. A pad between 3 to 5 inches in height is ideal for most sleepers. As for firmness, a medium-firm pillow is a safe bet for combination sleepers who shift between back, side, and stomach sleeping. If you have a preferred sleeping position, choose a pillow specifically designed for it.
With the variety of luxury pillows on the market, you can find one suited to your needs that match your interior design. Considering fill content, height, and hardness will help you choose pillows with neck support for a good night’s sleep. And isn’t being well-rested the ultimate luxury?
3. Choose a Pillow With the Proper Fill
The fill material inside your pillows is one of the essential factors in determining how luxurious they feel. For interior design, you want high-end pillows that provide comfort and support.
Down-and-down alternative fills are famous for their softness. Down fill is made from goose or duck feathers and provides a billowy feel, though it can lose shape over time. Down alternative fills, like polyester fiberfill, mimic the feel of down at a lower cost and hold their shape better. For luxury, a high fill power down, like 700 or higher, or a high-quality down alternative is ideal.
For extra support, consider a pillow with a foam or latex fill. Solid foam pillows contour to your head and neck, while shredded foam or latex fills are softer but still supportive. These fills are durable and help relieve pressure points. Memory foam is a common choice for its ability to mold your shape.
No matter the fill, look for pillows specifically designed for interior design or decorative use. These are made to hold their shape when on display and provide subtle support. You can combine many fills, like a down pillow wrapped around a foam core, for the perfect combination of looks and comfort.
Some other factors to keep in mind:
- Allergy-friendliness: Choose a hypoallergenic fill-like down alternative, latex, or buckwheat if needed.
- Washability: Check if the pillow can be machine washed and dried on low heat to maintain its shape. Removable covers also help keep pillows clean.
- Firmness: Think about how firm or soft you want the pillow to feel. This depends on personal preference and how the pillow will be used.
- Price: Luxury pillows with high-quality fills, covers, and construction will typically cost $50–$200 or more per pillow.
With the correct fill and a well-made, stylish cover, your pillows can make a statement in your space and provide a touch of lavish comfort. Focus on quality over quantity—a few perfect pillows are all you need.
4. Consider the Pillow Fabric and Outer Casing
The kind of fabric used for the pillow casing and insert will determine how luxurious it feels and how well it complements your interior design. Some of the most abundant options include:
- Silk: Smooth, shiny, and ultra-soft silk pillows add a touch of elegance. But, silk can be high maintenance, difficult to clean, and may need to be more durable.
- Velvet: Rich, plush velvet pillows create a dramatic look and are irresistibly soft. Velvet does tend to attract lint and pet hair, though.
- Linen: Lightweight, breathable linen has a casual, textured feel that is perfect for coastal or bohemian interiors. Linen does wrinkle easily, but that adds to its relaxed charm.
- Faux Fur: For a glamorous, luxurious statement, faux fur pillows can’t be beaten. They are cozy, dramatic, and cruelty-free but may not suit every decor style.
The outer casing protects the pillow and inserts and is a decorative element in your space. Some options for closures include:
- Zippers: Zippered closures are convenient but may look less high-end. Look for zippers that match the pillow color.
- Envelope closures: Elegant overlapping envelope closures with ties or buttons may gape with time.
- Hidden closures: Choose pillows with hidden magnetic, snap, or Velcro® closures for a seamless look. These provide easy access to the insert but no visible hardware.
The perfect luxury pillows for your interior design will depend on your style and priorities. Do you want pillows that are high-maintenance or low-maintenance? Dramatic or understated? The choices in fabrics, fillings, and closures can be mixed in endless ways to create the ideal opulent pillows for your space. Focus on high-quality, natural materials and hidden or matching closures for the most luxurious look and feel.
5. Read Reviews From Other Side Sleepers
As a side sleeper, you know how important it is to find a pillow that correctly supports your head, neck, and shoulders. The best way to determine if a luxury pillow will meet your needs is to read reviews from fellow side sleepers, and they can provide insights into factors like:
- Loft and firmness. Side sleepers typically prefer a medium- to high-loft pillow with moderate firmness. Reviews will describe how well the pillow maintains its shape and support throughout the night.
- Material and fill. Common fills for side sleeper pillows include memory foam, latex, buckwheat hulls, and microfiber. Reviews share how the material contours to the head and neck, relieves pressure points and helps align the spine.
- Heat retention. Some materials, like memory foam, can retain heat. Look for reviews about how well the pillow breathes and keeps the temperature even so you can sleep comfortably all night.
- Durability. High-quality luxury pillows should provide support and comfort for several years. Review reviews from clients who have used the pillow for at least a few months to determine how well it holds up.
- Value for price. Luxury pillows are expensive, so make sure reviews show that pillows for side sleepers will be enjoyed.
Luxury pillows for your sleep position and budget can be found in honest user reviews. Research and compare reviews to find side sleeper pillows with the best comfort, support, and durability. With the right pillow, you’ll wake up well-rested and ready to take on the day.
So there you have five suggestions to help you find luxury pillows that will make your space look and feel like a designer showcase. Only settle for essential pillows that match your style or comfort needs. You spend a third of your life sleeping, so invest in high-quality pillows that support your head and neck.
Shop around at different stores to compare styles, fabrics, and prices. Read reviews from other clients to determine which luxury pillows hold up best over time. Once you find pillows you love, your space will become a relaxing retreat you’ll enjoy for years. Sweet dreams!